Certificates of completion

Once building work is finished the next step is to send in a completion certificate for acceptance.

The certificate of completion states that you have carried out the work in accordance with the building warrant and approved plans.

Where appropriate it is also necessary to send in a certificate of compliance for the electrical work.  Any certificate must be completed by a competent person such as a qualified electrician.

Before it is accepted the building standards department will inspect the works.

If no issues are raised they have 14 days to either accept or reject the certificate of completion.

Completion certificates

One of the most important documents issued by Building Control is the Completion Certificate. This is the final stage in the application procedure, completing the process.

Building Control Surveyors carry out on-site inspections at various stages of construction. On satisfactory completion of the works, a Completion Certificate is issued. This Certificate gives the date of the final inspection carried out and states that, as far as can be reasonably ascertained, the work carried out conforms to the Building Regulations.

As the final part of the process, a Completion Certificate is forwarded to the applicant and all interested parties following a satisfactory final inspection. Further copies may be issued on request (subject to charges).

The importance of a Completion Certificate cannot be over-emphasised.


It verifies that a property complies with legal guidelines and has been subject to Building Regulations inspections carried out by independent and impartial professionals. For this reason it reassures all those with interests in the conveyancing process such as house owners, solicitors, banks, building societies and purchasers.

Acceptance of the certificate of completion

Without the 'acceptance of the certificate of completion' the building or part of the building cannot be occupied.

You will also need this certificate and the building warrant if you later sell the property.

Both of these should be kept in a safe place.


The acceptance or rejection of a certificate of completion will be entered on the building standards register which can be viewed in the relevant area office.

E&OE - Architecture & Design Services